Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Names

Naming a child is a very difficult thing. Especially when you've been a teacher. I will never name my child William, Lucas, Novie or Jayme. If you knew these children that I taught, you would know why. My list is much longer than that, but those are just a few that really stick out in my mind.

I know we have 3 months left to come up with a name for this baby, but it will be here so quickly. And we have made it even harder on ourselves. First of all, we aren't finding out the sex. (I know how many of my friends are mad at me for this one, but it's fun. There are so few real surprises in life.) So we have to come up with boy and girl names. Secondly, if it is a boy, Russ wants it to have the same initials as him. So we are stuck with "R" names. The only thing we have agreed on is that his middle name would be Wade, like Russ'. But when it comes to first names, we do not agree at all.

Here is just a short list of names that it can not be. Do to either me having taught a child with that name, or I'm related to someone with that name or a name similar to it, or I just don't like it.
Randall (I have an Uncle Randy), Ryan (my brother's middle name), Remington, anything with Ray at the front (Raye is Becca's middle name), Richard (sorry Dad-too many bad nicknames).
Here are some that Russ likes that I don't: Radley, Regan, Roman, Rogan, Royce
I have a few that I like that Russ doesn't. Here are the ones we kind of agree on, but don't really love any of them: Ridley, Riley, Ryder, Rowan, Ryland

There's a small part of me that just hopes it is a girl, because girl names are so much easier to me. We are not stuck with any letter when it comes to a girls' name. Right now, I really like Megan or Alyssa. I also like Molly, but Russ doesn't. Macy is on my list too, but not on Russ'.

Maddie's name went from Madison Grace to Alyssa Rae to Madalyn Paige. In fact, we had decided when she was born she would be Alyssa. But before we called anyone to tell them, Russ kept telling me she didn't look like an Alyssa. It just bugged him. She looked like a Maddie to him, so we changed her name before we called anyone.

Becca's name never changed. We found out she was a girl, so I made a list of names I liked. I was reading it off to Russ and Maddie one night and when I came to the name Rebecca, Maddie gasped. She said, "Reeeebecca, that will be my baby sister's name". And it kind of stuck. I just didn't want her called Becky, so we agreed on Becca and it fits her.

So if any of you have any suggestions, I am willing to take them at this point. We even watch movie credits trying to find a cool "R" name. There just aren't that many out there. And so many names have become girl names (Riley, Regan). I just do not like this name game.

So don't be shocked when you find out I've had the baby and it has no name for a few days. This one is tough.

11 comments:

Jenny said...

I love finding names when it is not my child I am trying to name;) I am the opposite of you in that I can find more names for boys than girls. Here are my choices: Reid, Rhett, Roderick, Ross or Ryker. The best one? RUSTY-ha!

Michelle said...

I love Reid too. But put it with my last name. I just couldn't do that to a child. :) And Rhett is on my list of favorites. Ross is too much like Russ. Ryker- now that's different.

Erin said...

I have friend who named her son "Reese" but spells it Rhys. I like the name, but the spelling's a little weird.

Pam said...

Ok, how about Ranger? I think it's cute.

Or maybe you could just name him after Russ, but call him Wade? I like that name, too.

Jessi said...

Oooh, I like Pam's idea!

Michelle said...

Ranger- not too bad. It kind of sounds like Astro from the Jetsons trying to say Danger. That bugs us about a lot of names- Royce- sounds like "Rastro" trying to say voice. Weird, I know.

And as far as Russell Jr...

I grew up in a town called Russell, so it was even a little weird for me to marry someone with that name. All of my tshirts and athletic things said Russell on them. And I love my husband, but don't love the name.

Pam said...

OK. I'm going to stick with Ranger. Unique and cute. And the kids he goes to school with won't even know what the Jetsons are.

Mel said...

Yea I feel for ya. I hope you have a boy... you will figure out a name for him, maybe you need to see him first before you settle on a name anyway.

Jenny said...

I can't quit laughing at myself for suggesting Reid, I didn't even put into consideration the last name:~)

Ranger Danger?

Unknown said...

Michelle,
My brother-in-law is Rylan (without the "d"). I also went to school with a guy names Rafael... he went by Rafe. It's Hebrew and means "The Lord heals". I'm partial to that one. Zachariah means "The Lord Remembers"

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.