Monday, April 14, 2008

Updates

I'm combining 3 short posts in to one, so here we go:

I had posted over a month ago that I wanted to start taking a friend out for lunch. I finally did. Chasity and Adrianne got to be my Guinea pigs. It was a great feeling. We had fun and great conversation. Adrianne didn't know I had planned on paying, so she kept thanking me. It was the best feeling I had had in a long time. I can't wait to invite my next friend out to eat.



Maddie won the citizenship award at school for the 3rd quarter. She was so proud. She got this award for doing her work, having good grades and a good attitude at school. We are so proud of her.

I love our Life Group. Last month, we did two mini service projects. Two of our members- Ricky and Julie go to Bolivia every year on a parasite campaign. They take a pill out to children in rural areas who can't afford to take this one pill that will help them to not get sick. Their water is very dirty and has many parasites in it. But if they can just take 1 or even 2 pills a year, they will be fine. But most people can't even afford the one pill. They also can't afford toothbrushes, toothpaste and soap. Things we all use many times a day. We just take them for granted.

Ricky is originally from Bolivia. So when they go to visit his family, they take these huge crates of supplies and deliver them to the rural children. I think this is such an amazing act. So one night at life group, we helped them pack up supplies for their trip. We had done a lesson for the kids on helping others. Ricky and Julie brought a video they had put together a few years ago. It shows the extremely poor conditions of these kids. Their schools look like what we had in America in the 1800's. We wanted to show our kids just how blessed they are. They were all excited to help pack these crates with toothbrushes to give to kids who can't afford to buy them.

Ricky just got back, so we got to hear a little of his trip. Julie will be back on Thursday. I'm anxious to hear more and see pictures.







Our Life Group also hosted Parents' Night out at church last month. From 6-10pm you could drop off your child and go out to eat or go to a movie, or do whatever you wanted. We have used this a few times at church and love it. Recently, the life groups have taken over doing it, which is great. We used to only have it a few times a year, but now, it will be much more. For Russ and I, who have no family here to watch our kids, it is an awesome service. So Mel and I got together and figured out how to have rotations and how to divide up adults and kids so they could have fun and we wouldn't have huge headaches by the end. We ended up having 45 kids there between 10 adults and 6 stations (rooms). It was a lot of work, but I think everyone had a good time. I'm glad it's over and we don't have to do it again for a long time! ;)




4 comments:

Mel said...

I am barely in any of the pictures? And I am sure there is still lots you don't know about me, so I will be waiting for that call about lunch????hehehehee

Michelle said...

There Mel- I added a picture of you. Hope you like it! :)

Pam said...

I love the service projects you guys did... and I really loved Parent's Night Out! It is so muh nicer now that the LGs are doing it. You guys did a great job! Thanks... you're the best! (Insert lunch invitation here)

Mel said...

Thanks !! Now all we have left is lunch ???? hehehehee