Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Maddie's birthday

Yesterday our Maddie girl turned 6. She was so excited when she got up because she had a busy day. The first thing was...I volunteer for a reading program at her school, so I get to go once a month and read to the kids and do an activity with them. She was excited that I would be at her school on her birthday. I brought her birthday cupcakes and juice boxes for snack. She decorated the top with lots of sprinkles. (Becca helped too) They were VERY multi-colored, and she was proud of them. Then, Russ took a "special" (Sonic) lunch to her. Maddie felt very proud that her Daddy came to school too. And that she didn't have to eat the school lunch.

When she came home from school, she helped me get our picnic dinner ready. Then we left for gymnastics, where they sang Happy Birthday to her. She thought that was pretty neat. Then off to the park to meet Daddy for dinner and present opening. It was just the 4 of us at the park, but it was so nice out and the girls had a lot of fun.Twenty-five Junie B. Jones chapter books from Merma and Papa. She was so excited!! Polly Pocket Pet shop. She couldn't believe it! :)



We've decided not to do big birthdays every year. The thought of it exhausts me and it can get rather expensive! I'd much rather spend that money elsewhere. This is not to say that the girls are never going to get parties, because they will on "special birthdays". 5, 10, 13 and 16 sound good to me. (Maybe one or two in between those.) Last year, Maddie had a big Tea Party. It was cute and she had a blast. So until she turns 10, we'll do family parties, or have a few friends over for a sleep over, or a movie at the dollar theater. I, personally, just don't see the need for these HUGE parties every year. (I hope I'm not offending anyone.) I just think if you have a few parties here and there, then they are more special to the child. Plus, I don't know about you, but we can't squeeze another stinkin' toy into our house! I'm going to have a hard time finding room for the Polly Pockets- and they are TINY!

So if you are invited to Maddie or Becca's birthday parties in the future, feel free to contribute to their college fund. :)

4 comments:

Mel said...

Well it sounds like Maddie had a great b-day. I think you are teaching her that her b-day is special just b/c it is her b-day. We don't always do big parties (like where you spend a lot of $$ just to have the party), but we do always invite friends and family. And I totally agree, our kids do not need another toy in their room either. When D turned 3, we had his b-day party at the park on June 5th, (I was pg. w/ A) - I knew that night after the party that I was going to have A the next day, and sure enough I did.

Amy S. Grant said...

Michelle, I am so far behind in reading blogs. I'm glad to have visited yours tonight to see your beautiful family.

Maddie and Alison would be friends, I just know it. So much in common from reading this.

We don't do big parties every year, either. I think you are wise to go ahead and set the standard now.

And the funny thing is, as much as my girls love the big parties, I think they enjoy the smaller, more intimate celebrations more.

Pam said...

Happy b-day, Maddie! Glad you all had a great time. I'm all for the small parties. In fact, for the last two years, I've had a combined party for both the boys with just a few friends each- I think it's great!

Unknown said...

I'm a small party mom too. The last two years, Zach has just had one or two friends spend the night. We went to Incredible Pizza one time and Hey Day the other. It's a lot less stress and a lot less money. Zach has really liked the smaller parties. A non-stressed Mom makes for a better day!