Monday, March 31, 2008

Sports Fan?

Something has happened to me since Maddie was born. Russ says that I can no longer call myself a sports fan since I don't actually watch the games. O.k., that makes sense, but I must explain that I do love sports and I used to really love watching them.

When Kirby Puckett played for the Minnesota Twins, I could tell you the entire roster and even the batting order. I loved the Twins. I also could tell you the name of everyone on the LA Lakers when Magic Johnson played. And the 49ers were my football team. I loved Joe Montana and Steve Young. But the excitement of sports slowly starting wearing off when we had kids.

I don't know if it's because I need to take care of the girls, I'm too tired and would rather take a nap, I need to clean the house, or a million other things on my "to do" list. I just don't understand what has happened.

Some of it could be blamed on Todd and Terry. :) They would call up Russ and give away their wives' tickets if they couldn't make it to a basketball or football game. At first I was very jealous, because I wanted to go. Especially to the football games. When I was at the University of Iowa, I had football season tickets. I love the fall- "football weather" as I call it. I had to get over it, because I wanted Russ to go and have fun. Yes, I wanted to go too, but I was too cheap to hire a babysitter and pay for a ticket for myself. So slowly, the sports fan in me died.

March madness is always fun though. I always fill out a bracket. If nothing else, than to see if I can beat Russ. No, I didn't pay attention to anything during the season. But about 2 weeks before the tournament starts, I secretly watch Sports Center during the day. I pay attention to everything they say and then choose my teams.

So far, I am kicking Russ' butt. We do points by taking the teams' seed and multiplying it by 1 (in first round) by 2 in the sweet 16, by 4 in the elite eight, by 8 for the final 4, by 16 for the final two teams and the winner is x32. So, right now, I have 188 points. Russ has 151 points. I have Kansas and UCLA out of the final 4, Russ has North Carolina and UCLA. He also has both of them in the finals and UCLA winning. I only have UCLA in the final game, but losing. So Russ does have a chance to beat me. But it has been fun so far picking the "right" games.

So maybe I'm back on track to being a sports fan. Well, that is until this baby is born, then I'll have something "better" to do. But if any of you wives want to give your husband's football ticket away- give me a call. I will be more than happy to leave Russ at home with the kids and go to the game with you! ;)

3 comments:

Mel said...

Hahaha - that was a great blog. I love sports too - but I don't watch as much anymore either (kids). T was driving home from the JBF Sale Sat. night and I told him to hurry up so we could watch some March Madness. I fill out a bracket too, but I am not doing so hot this year, didn't prepare like you did - hehehe

Unknown said...

Oh My Goodness!! I could have written this blog (except for the whole girls and Russ thing). I bet when the kiddos are grown, we'll be right there knowin' all the stats again! Until then...I hope you beat Russ!!! Sadly, this is the first year in many I didn't fill out a bracket :(

not so zen momma said...

I would come watch basketball with you, but Derek and I are banned since the time we watched OU get knocked out of the tournament at your house. That was years ago!