Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Holy God Recording


I had an awesome experience this past weekend. On Friday, a group of eight of us from church took a little trip to record a cd. We were invited by Keith Lancaster. He is one of the men behind the group Acapella and AVB. He is on a mission to restore 4 part harmony in the Church of Christ. He said everywhere he goes, he hears churches singing the melody and nothing else. He also mentioned how so many C of C's have gotten pianos to "help out" their singing.


So we recorded a cd that will have 25 tracks on it. It will be a 2 disc cd. The second one will be a learning cd. You can just put in the right ear phone and only hear alto and bass parts. It is meant to teach people the different parts of these traditional hymns.

We got there around 4:00 on Friday. We arrived at the church at 5:30 because singing was to start at 6:00. Well, Keith got nervous and didn't think he would get it all recorded in time, so he started early. So we couldn't break in in the middle of recording. So we waited around until 6:30. We then proceeded to sing until after 10:00 pm!! I was one tired puppy. Everyone was standing the entire time. Well, all but the altos. He realized after singing for about an hour, that the alto section was way overpowering the others, so he had us number off 1-2. And we then took turns singing every other song. That was totally fine by me because that meant I could sit down when it wasn't my turn to sing.

We went to Cheesecake Factory for dinner (at 10:30 at night!!) It was yummy! When we got back to the hotel (at 11:30), we were walking to our rooms together. I had to pass by Jenny and Amanda's room to get to mine. When they opened their door, it felt like a dragon had just blew out fire from their room. Apparently when they got there, their room was cold, so they turned up the heat. So from 5:30-11:30, the heat was a-blowin'! I thought I was going to wake everyone up in the hotel from laughing so stinkin' hard. They had to come over to our room and hang out while their room cooled off. Too funny!

Saturday morning was spent singing (and sitting for me). I sat every chance I could. And it ended with the entire group (of around 250 people) singing praise and worship songs. It was beautiful. The angels in heaven definitely had some competition this weekend.

Here are a few pictures from the weekend. Oh, none of us remembered a camera, so these were all taken by Mary Lewis, Adrian Steed and Keith Lancaster. I looked through over 1200 pictures to find pictures of our group. I decided that the camera people are in love with Joan. There were probably 20 pictures of her. They seemed to like Greg and Amanda too. But poor me and Kevin. We were hard to find. Most of the pictures with us, we were in the background. Maybe that's because I was sitting down so much! :)

Oh and if you want my autograph, you should get it now. Because once the cd comes out and people see my name on the back (with 600 other people), I know there will be a line at my door for autographs and pictures. I promise I'll remain grounded. The money won't change me. I'll still be the same Michelle. Just a lot more famous. :)

Me and Jenny J. Greg giving Theck a big elbow. (neck rubbin' time)If you look just over Keith's left shoulder you can see me holding my belly. I was actually standing up! :)Joan and Amanda.This is a great picture of Joan laughing.I wonder if Jenny was praying - "Please let us sit down".Sean and Greg.Keith Lancaster giving us the "it's all good" sign. See me holding my belly again. My stomach muscles really hurt from standing so stinkin' much! "Ahhhh" Don't I look angelic?Kevin and Jenny on the far right. This is a really good picture of Amanda. Joan singing.
This is me wondering when we get to sit down again.Cute picture of Jenny. Good picture of Theck. Joan and Amanda singing.
Sean. Me- SITTING next to Amanda.

5 comments:

Mel said...

Looks like you had a great time, a lot of work, but so worth it. I loved the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!

I don't know if I've told you yet or not... Congrats on the pregnancy!

steph

Jenny said...

Fabulous! I went to college near Paris, TN which was at that time where Acappella and AVB were headquartered. We were so fortunate to see them perform numerous times. Can't wait to hear when the CD actually comes out. Please keep us posted. The photos were great! Looks like all of you had a great time! Just wish I could do more than carry a tune in a bucket!

not so zen momma said...

This looks like the coolest experience! I'm proud of my Alameda buddies.

Amy S. Grant said...

Michelle, I saw this post awhile back but didn't have time to comment. I'm SO glad you all got to be a part of this recording.

Our praise team here was a part of the last one. I wish we could have done this together!

Keith does such a great job. And I love all the pics!