Monday, March 3, 2008

Concert

We went to see Matchbox Twenty in concert last night. They were awesome! Thanks to our friends, Rick and Amanda, we got to sit in box seats across from the stage. It was really fun!
The concert opened with a group called Mute Math. I had never heard of them, but they were good. On their closing song, the lead singer kept throwing his body up on the keyboard. His hands were still on the keys, but his feet were in the air. After he did this 3 times, he flipped over the keyboard. We weren't sure if he did it on purpose, but it sure got the crowd going.

Then came Alanis Morissette. She was awesome! I had forgotten how many good songs she sings. She has an amazing voice. It sounded so good live. I love "Jagged Little Pill".

After Alanis sang about 6-7 songs, it was time for Matchbox Twenty. They rocked! We bought their new cd a month ago so we could be sure we knew their songs. I was surprised at how many I all ready knew. My favorite is "Unwell". Russ calls it my theme song. The chorus of the song says, "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell. I know right now, you can't tell. But stay awhile and then you'll see, a different side of me. I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired. I know right now you don't care, but soon enough you're gonna think of me and how I used to be." They sang that in their encore. I was so excited! Amanda and I were ready to go to the mosh pit. :) Is that what it's called? See how uncool I really am?
Rob Thomas is an amazing vocalist. To sing that well for that long amazes me. My voice gets worn out after singing 5-6 songs. He probably sang 15-20. It was for nearly 2 hours. It was so great.
It had been a long time since we had been to a concert. Russ and I used to love going to concerts. That of course was BK. (before kids) I've been to... now don't laugh- New Kids on the Block, Back Street Boys, Amy Grant, Janet Jackson (the best concert I've ever seen!), Def Leppard, Page & Plant (Led Zepplin), and a few other little ones here and there that must not have been great, because I can't remember them. We had tickets to Sheryl Crow last year, but she cancelled her tour when she found out she had breast cancer. We were really bummed because Russ had actually gone down town to stand in line to get front row tickets. (Oh, my husband is in love with Sheryl Crow). So we were extremely disappointed. We almost had tickets to Madonna in NYC, but our friend who was ordering the tickets got cut off when she was about to give her credit card number and couldn't get back in when she tried calling back. Madonna ended up canceling because of a sore throat, so that worked out o.k. for us.
Besides Sheryl and Madonna, I'd really like to see U2, Lenny Kravitz, Sarah MacLaghlin, and Tom Petty. Russ would go to all but Sarah. He's all ready been to a bunch of great concerts- Pink Floyd, Doobie Brothers, Van Halen (twice), ZZ Top and U2 (Actung Baby tour).
Anyway, it was a great time! I was tired by the time we left. We found out later, that there were tornado sirens going off all around us. We had no idea though. We knew the weather was bad, but that's a little scary to think about! All of those people in that building. There's no way they could evacuate us all. Thank you God for keeping us safe! And thank you Rick and Amanda for inviting us!

3 comments:

Pam said...

Oh, how I would love to have been at a Def Leppard concert. "Pour Some Sugar On Me" is one of my all-time favs.

As for Russ's Sheryl Crow obsession- when I lived in NYC, she did a concert in the park right in front of our apartment and I got to go for free and hang out with the road crew. If Russ is really nice to me, I'll let him see my FREE Sheryl t-shirt from my buddies in the crew. I know, I know. I rock. :)

My two favorite concerts of all time: Bush and Randy Newman (weird, I know, but it was another awesome NYC park concert).

Mel said...

I am so glad you had a good time. I have never been much of a concert going type.

Ryan, Jen, & Rowan said...

I saw DL at the Houston Rodeo about 7 yrs ago - it was awesome! I went with a girl who was about 15 yrs. older than me so that made it even more fun!!!!!