Monday, September 17, 2007

What's for dinner?

I hate having to think about dinner. I dread it. If I plan things really well, and lay out a menu on a Sunday, I don't mind it so much for that week. But how often do I really do that? About 3 times a year.

I watched an episode of Rachel Ray last week. I had never really watched that before. She has a segment called "And that's what's for dinner tonight". I think that was it's name anyway. She did inside out burgers. I made them that night. They were great. (Look for the recipe below)
I love it when someone tells me what to fix for dinner. I just hate trying to come up with what to fix. It seems like it's the same old stuff: tacos, spaghetti, chicken something, hamburgers on the grill, or whatever is frozen- pizza, fish, chicken nuggets (see why I'm fat?)

So my question is to you all- What's for dinner tonight? Or at least, what is your favorite thing to fix for dinner? I like things that are quick and not a lot of ingredients.


Inside-out burgers
2 pounds ground turkey breast (99% fat free)
1/4 cup of mustard ( I used ketchup because I don't like mustard)
mix these two together really well- kind of like making a meatloaf

Make a small flat patty and then put in crumbled (cooked) turkey bacon and sharp cheddar cheese. Then put another small flat patty on top and squeeze the sides all together. Then fry it in a skillet. About 8-10 minutes on each side.

It is very yummy, and easy. We ate ours with a fork and knife because they were so big!

7 comments:

Mel said...

I am on my way to the store right now - we are having Taco Soup, the WW one. I wish I planned better for dinner as well..... but I don't.

Pam said...

I am completely the same way. I hate the question, "What's for dinner?" I try to make a list of dinners for the week before i go grocery shopping so I will know what I need, but sometimes I don't feel like making that stuff later when I get home.

Tonight I made green bean bundles for the first time. Kids LOVED them (and so did I):

canned whole green beans
smoked bacon
1/2 stick butter
a few dashes of Worsetershire Sauce
a dash of mustard
2/3 cup brown sugar

put together 5-6 green beans in a bunch and wrap with half a strip of bacon, lay in a casserole dish. Continue until your green beans are gone (I used 2 cans).

Melt butter in microwave, then add W. sauce, mustard and brown sugar. Mix and drizzle over bundles. Bake at 425 for 30-40 minutes- until the green beans start to shrivel and the bacon looks nice and brown.

Stick toothpicks in them and serve.

Not WW friendly, but SUPER yummy!

Mel said...

ok I didn't have the WW Taco Soup, I took all three kids to the store and that "event" took us 1 1/2 hrs. So when we got home I made the Soup that has Hormel Chili - man was it good - I mean really good. Trey even ate it and liked it. Abby and Lily ate it as well. Dalex is not a soup eater - ok - just wanted to keep you in the "know"

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

Last night was chicken & broccoli casserole. It was finally cool enough to use the oven for dinner! We've been grilling or eating quick microwave stuff most of the summer. We eat lots of salads too.

I rarely "plan" in advance; just buy stuff at the store and hope to be "enlightened" when it's time to prepare something.

I come from a family of great Southern cooks, but I don't have time/patience to cook like that these days, plus I always cook too much when I do and we HATE leftovers!!

Michelle said...

Thanks for the yummy ideas. I ended up making Homemade Pizza.

gary said...

I don't remember the name but the following has become one of our family favorites. I found it on the back of a roasted red pepper spaghetti package. Odd thing is they don't sell the Roasted Red Pepper spaghetti anymore so we modified the recipe to work with angel hair pasta. Anyways here is the recipe.

You will need the following:

Approx 1/4-1/2 cup of Green Olives finely chopped.

Approx 1/4 cup of chopped Mezzetta Roasted Bell Pepper (found on pickle isle at walmart.)

1 8oz bottle of Zesty Italian Salad Dressing (make sure it says "Zesty Italian")

1 package of angel hair pasta.

In a saucepan combine salad dressing, finely chopped olives and bell peppers and simmer on low-med. heat while cooking angel hair pasta. When pasta is done, drain and mix with sauce from sauce pan. Garnish with parmesan cheese and serve.

Even the kids love this spaghetti. If you want you can even use low fat "Zesty Italian" for those on a diet.

Hope you enjoy,

Gary and Barbie