Friday, August 17, 2007


My friend, Melinda, died earlier today. She was only 31. She had been fighting breast cancer, but had been doing much better. She went in for reconstructive surgery and things just went from bad to worse. They put her on a ventilator, then her kidneys failed, then her liver. They took her in to do a liver biopsy and that's when her heart stopped. She has 3 sweet and beautiful kids at home. Marli, who is 6 and in first grade. Marcus, who's 4 and Manning who is 1 1/2. My heart just breaks for them and for her husband, Mark. They were high school sweethearts who just celebrated their 10th anniversary a few short weeks ago.

We had a prayer service at church tonight. It was so sad. We all have been touched by Melinda being in our lives. She was such a genuine, loving person. She called me just 2 days before her last surgery to check on me. Me! I even said to her, "Melinda, you are having surgery in two days and you're thinking of me?" She just wanted to be sure I was doing o.k. after having my miscarriage. She had miscarried twins just over 2 years ago. So she wanted to be sure I had someone to talk to who had been there. Melinda was so great like this.

The picture here is of a bunch of us at Race for a Cure last October. We all ran for her and for those at our church who had also fought breast cancer. Running this year will have a totally different meaning.

This song keeps running through my head: Casting Crowns - Praise You In This Storm From the album Lifesong


I was sure by now God You would have reached down And wiped our tears away Stepped in and saved the day But once again, I say “Amen”, and it’s still raining As the thunder rolls I barely hear You whisper through the rain “I’m with you” And as Your mercy falls I raise my hands and praise the God who gives And takes away Chorus:I’ll praise You in this storm And I will lift my hands For You are who You are No matter where I am Every tear I’ve cried You hold in Your hand You never left my side And though my heart is torn I will praise You in this storm I remember when I stumbled in the wind You heard my cry You raised me up again My strength is almost gone How can I carry on If I can’t find You As the thunder rolls I barely hear You whisper through the rain “I’m with you” And as Your mercy falls I raise my hands and praise the God who gives And takes away Chorus:(2x’s) I lift my eyes unto the hills Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord The maker of Heaven and Earth Chorus:


I will miss you Melinda. Thank you for your friendship over the past 10 years and how you have touched my life.

1 comments:

Mel said...

Hey I just read what you wrote about Melinda, it was touching. And that song, it is great....brings tears to my eyes.