Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The World Wide Web

It's kind of frightening to think that anyone in the world can read my blog. I try not to put last names on here, or even where we live. But I'm sure someone could figure it out. I found this thing today that I think is really neat, but it has scared me a little too.

If you look above my family picture, you'll see sitemeter. This counts how many people have visited my blog. It can show me at what time of the day people visit and from where in the world they visit. If you have your own blog, it will show me exactly who visited. So I know Pam and Amy viewed my blog today, but so did a bunch of "unknown"s.

I also saw that someone from Cedar Rapids viewed my blog. That's either family or a few friends we know. There were quite a few in my town and a town near me. But someone from Italy viewed my blog. ITALY! I'll tell you right now, without a doubt, I know NO ONE in Italy. Someone from Dallas did too. I know a few people in Dallas. But not anyone that would read my blog. Unless it's my cousin. John, are you reading this? I know Mel has friends in Dallas, so they could have gone to her blog and then gone to mine from hers. Who knows?

It's kind of scary when I look at the numbers. I put the sitemeter on my blog around 10:00 this morning. I have all ready had 51 page views. Who the heck is reading this junk? Really? I'm not that exciting, I promise.

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey girl:

I put the site meter on my blog in 2006 - it is interesting. Helpful hint, the more you blog the more you get 'looked at' as posting a blog makes you the next blog or something when people are randomly searching.

Anyway, if you see something from Houston or Katy, it is I and not a stalker!!! :)

I am proud of your dedication to this diet/activity plan...being an adult has serious downfalls. I hate sitting behind a desk for 8 hours every day. One day, I think my rear will be as spread as far as the chair. I confess that in nice weather I am honestly jealous of construction workers as I drive to work. I am thinking "at least they do not have to make time for the gym later!'

Keep up the good work!

Harp

Mel said...

Wow - so if and only if I check your blog more than once a day, can you tell that? And the next question, how do I get this sitemeter? I really don't care who looks at mine, I know I am not that interesting - hehehehe. Even if people do read mine, they probabaly read my blog and think "she is booorrriiiinnnnggg"
And one more thing, can you as in "we" put our blog on private setting or something like that? I know w/ my MySpace you can set that to private.

Michelle said...

I'm so relieved! :)

I did change my setting so it wouldn't be shown on blogger.com, but it can be accessed from the internet. I don't understand how it all works still.

Harp- what's your blog? I tried clicking on your name and it took me to your family's blog. Send me an email and let me know so I can spy on you!

Mel said...

hey you didn't tell me how I get the sitemeter?

Michelle said...

Go to sitemeter.com

You can take a tour to see what all it does. Then click on the sign up button on the basic, or free one. Then you'll put in your URL- your address for your blog. You have to make up a code too.

Then just follow the directions for it to appear on your blog. It's basically just a copy and paste thingy.

Call me if you can't get it.

not so zen momma said...

I'm not seeing where to email you! I'm a big dork, and I'm in a rush on my lunch break. Could you email me at bademetz@yahoo.com, and I'll respond tonight!

MY THOUGTS said...

You don't want to spy on my whole family??? Here ya go...http://www.houharp.blogspot.com/; I will send this comment from that account also!

Rhino's Real Total Package said...

Michelle,

I don't know how I come up on your site meter. I am in the DFW area though, so maybe I'm the mystery reader!

I think your blogs are hilarious and so real. That's why I read. Plus I feel it keeps me a little 'in touch' with the old Alameda group. You had emailed me when Melinda passed and that is how I got started reading 'into the mind of michelle'.

Hope it's okay. Feel free to tell me to quit stalking you if you want!

steph

Jenny said...

I also put a site meter on my blog when I first started and after year I was so freaked out I just took it off, so I wouldn't know who was reading. Besides I was writing it for me and my family so if others wanted to lurk around I was none the wiser;)

Melica-yes you can make your blog totally private where a person would have to have the password to access your blog and if I am a good friend I would set up our 'learning time.' I promise I have not forgotten you!

Michelle said...

Stephanie! Of course you can lurk. See, I had no idea you were reading my stuff. It has been so fun to reconnect with people through this.

Thanks Jenny and Pam for telling me how much you loved blogging and getting me started on it!

Mel said...

Yeah, now that I have done somet thinking, I don't know if I am going to put the site meter on...

The Larsons said...

Hey Michelle--
When I saw you today, I was going to tell you that I've been reading your blog, too--and Pam's, too (but I told her). Anyway, I hope it's okay, but now that I know how important both of you were to Melinda, I really like reading about you guys. So I'm from Dallas, and I could definitely be your mystery blog reader.

Thanks so much for trying to track us down some bracelets, too. I'm so glad we went today! You guys are just so awesome--Mark and his family are so lucky to have you guys.