Sunday, October 21, 2007

Race for the Cure

Yesterday was awesome! I was so amazed by the love that was shown to the Evans family. We had 145 people on Team Evans. How great is that? We were the largest non-corporate team that participated in the Race. Wow. But, it was hard to stand there, taking pictures of everyone, remembering that Melinda was here last year. It was really hard to watch the survivor's ceremony. How wonderful for all of those women and their families that they are survivors of this terrible disease. But it is so hard to think that Melinda is not one of them. That, and seeing Melinda's brother tear up was hard.


Before I started running, I prayed. I prayed for Melinda's family. I prayed God would give me strength to make it through the entire race. I even said to Pam, Monica and Susan before we started, "if Melinda could go through all the pain and suffering she went through, then we can surely get through 30-40 minutes of running pains". So I really thought a lot about Melinda while I ran. I honestly don't even remember the last mile. I looked up and I was rounding the last corner to get to the finish line.

So I know you all are wondering... I did it! I ran the entire thing. A 5K, or 3.1 miles. God gave me the strength to make it through! It took me 37 minutes and 39 seconds. Slow, I know. But that's o.k., because I didn't stop. I really wanted to, but I didn't. I only passed about 5 other runners. All the "good" runners were just flying past me. I even had one of those fast walker people pass me! A walker. But boy was she fast. She was wiggling her little hips as fast and far as they would take her. My last year's time was 33 minutes. Still not fast, but a lot faster than this year's time. I guess that is what 20 extra pounds does to a person! :)

Here are some great photos of the race:
This is Mitzi and Hope. Aren't they just the cutest? Hope even ran through the finish line with her daddy!
These two pictures are our team. I can't wait to buy a photo of our entire team. But this was just before we had our team picture taken. You can see how many of us fill up the bleachers.

This is a VERY small part of our awesome team. Julie, Pam, Jenny, me, Odra, Julie, Joan, Zach, Bethany and Jacob.

Carla, Mel and Erin. Even though it looks like they are running, they walked the race- but I told them to RUN to the finish line. They did great!Erin, Me, Carla and Mel. Don't we look cool in our shades? Thanks for going with me girls!

This is Mark's mom walking with the two younger kids. Mark's dad, Melinda's brother, Marli, Melinda's sister-in-law and Mark. Marli was so excited about the race and everyone there. I gave her a big hug and told her we did it for her mommy because we miss her so much. That made me sad. But she just kept smiling. She is the sweetest little thing.

This is the Survivor's ceremony. It was amazing to see all of these women. You think of the families that belong to each one of these women. And the friends, coworkers, etc. Why is it that we can't find the cure to this terrible disease? So many women get breast cancer. I don't want it to take one more person that I know.
In the middle of the picture in a black t-shirt is JoAnn. She is an amazing woman. She is a survivor. Not just of breast cancer, but she has lost two husbands in her lifetime. One while she was pregnant. She was there for Melinda during her trial with breast cancer. And I know that she is now there for Mark during his trial. She can relate to them both. I firmly believe we go through things in life to help others. Maybe God had JoAnn go through her terrible trials to help Mark and Melinda through theirs. She is truly a gift from God.
This is the front of our t-shirts. I covered up the name of our town.
And this is the back of our t-shirts. I covered up Melinda's last name. This poem was given to Melinda's mom and a friend, Kathryn while at the hospital. Pam, you'll have to help me out with this story. Kathryn said she was talking to Melinda's mom when this woman came up to them and handed them this poem- handwritten. She said it had gotten her through some bad times and she hoped it would help Melinda's family. (Melinda had just passed away) Kathryn said the weird thing about it all, was just before the woman came up to them, she saw a glow out of the corner of her eye. She said while the woman talked, she couldn't take her eyes off of her. She had goosebumps the entire time she stood there. Then the woman walked away, and they never saw her in the hospital again. Kathryn swears she was an angel sent to them to help them with their grief. Cool, huh? I believe it.

3 comments:

Amy S. Grant said...

Thank you for posting this, Michelle. You all have been in my thoughts and prayers this weekend, and I was with ya in spirit!

For the record, we run at about the same speed. :)

Erin said...

Michelle, great pictures! I had so much fun on Saturday, but like you said it was also hard seeing everyone there without Melinda. You did great running the race. Maybe, I'll get there someday.

Mel said...

I love reading your blogs - and I loved the pictures, esp. the ones w/ me in them heheehe