Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Paint and texture and stain, oh my!

I finally got pictures off of my camera. I think there were like 400 of them or something ridiculous. So I wanted to show you my handy work. I stripped the wallpaper off of our walls in the breakfast nook. Then I textured, painted and rubbed brown glaze over it. Then we pulled up the carpet and acid-stained the concrete. Now that was a huge job! But it turned out totally cool. Then I had to fix the baseboards. Once you pull up carpet, the baseboards are up too high, so I had to buy quarter-round, paint it, cut it (at the correct angles-that was hard) and stick it down. Thanks to my dad for helping us with the carpet edge. We put wood trim across that. But all in all, I think it looks good. So do the people buying the house. It was a lot of work, but worth it if it helped to sell our house.

This is how it used to look.

Wallpaper and border torn off.

My mother-in-law helped me pull all of this stuff off. Thanks Inez!!

I spray textured the wall where the wallpaper was.

First coat of paint.

But a problem. You can see a line where the chair rail was. So I had to take my sander, sand down the wall, re-texture and repaint. ugh.

Brown glaze.
I painted the whole kitchen. It was not easy getting above the cabinets.
This is what the floor looked like when we first pulled up the carpet. There was paint and stain all over it. So I had to use paint stripper and a scraper to get up all of the gunk.
After doing like 3 other things to it, it was ready for stain.
This is what it looked like right after I sprayed the stain on. I had to use chemical gloves because it actually eats into the concrete.
Cool, huh?
We then had to mop up all of the excess stain and suck it up with our wet/dry vac. I was a little worried at this point because now it just looked so dull and not as cool looking.
But then we put the sealer on it and it shined right up. Doing this actually makes the breakfast nook feel bigger.
This is my quarter-round addition. I got a little paint on the floor that I still need to clean up, but it looks pretty good in my opinion!! :)

2 comments:

Mel said...

wow that looks like a lot of work - but the end result looks awesome!!! I am sure the new homeowners will love it !!

Jessi said...

Awesome! I can't wait until we put the final sealer on our floor! You did a great job, I'm very impressed with how handy you are!