Monday, May 19, 2008

Plus-sized???

America's Next Top Model crowned their winner last week. Now I didn't watch this show at all, but it has been all over tv about the winner. Her name is Whitney and she is the first "plus-sized" winner of the show.


Here are a few of her pictures. You tell me if she is "plus-sized".
Whitney is 5'10" and is a size 8-10. A size 8 on a shorter woman is normal. So for someone who is as tall as her, a size 8 would be "small". Not in the modeling business. I saw some pictures of her standing next to other models from the show- the "regular-sized models", and she looked like an Amazon woman.
What has this world come to? A size 8 is plus-sized? I always thought size 16 was the start of the plus-sized section. They say the average American woman is a size 12. So to me, Whitney is much smaller than the average woman. But she is still considered plus-sized.
I think we need to be more careful with our wording. We can give little girls the wrong impression of themselves. Russ and I have tried to be really careful in not using the word "fat" in front of the girls. We use the terms "getting in shape" or "being fit". Somewhere though, Becca has picked up "Chubba Bubba". So we try to explain to her that's not nice. We just need to eat better and exercise. Maddie has been really good at picking up on our language. Becca just mentioned the other day that she had a big belly. Maddie told her to stop eating candy and to exercise and she would be fit. Not skinny. I don't like that term. Skinny is for the super-models, not for real people.
If they must label this girl, then call her a full-figured model, not plus-sized. Maybe after this baby is born, I can get down to being a plus-sized, or full-figured woman. I would LOVE to be a size 8!

4 comments:

Mel said...

I like what you guys are teaching the girls, we tell the kids stuff like that too, we use the word "healthy" a lot. We do not like the word fat either. And I would be happy being a size 12!!!

TracyM said...

That's a tough one! Especially with a house full of girls. We try to watch what we say too. The girls have asked me when will they get to "work out" since they've been dragged to the gym so much. You look great, by the way! Just stay healthy and confident! Hey, did you notice, I learned how to post a comment? I might have something to say... :)

Erin said...

With 2 young girls at home, I constantly worry about their self image. I try not to use words like "fat" or "skinny." I'm trying to model for my girls an active lifestyle by walking. I have seen the first hand affects of a teenager with an eating disorder. She was on my basketball team. It's a scary thing. It definitely starts when they're young. It's almost too late when I get them in class as high school students. BTW, I would be VERY happy to be a size 14!

Jeana said...

HELLO!! I watched the show (it's one of my favs) I was rooting for her the ENTIRE time...she is so pretty and so poised and I thought, that is exactly what America needed!! And plus size, she is not, she's a beautiful size.
Aubree, my 4 year old watched the show with me, of course she didn't get the "plus size" thing but I was glad that she watched it, she kept telling me how pretty Whitney was and she wanted her to win, YOU GO AUB!!