Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year

2008! I really only have one major resolution this year. To be more organized. I blame it all on not enough storage, but really, it's too much stuff!! I feel like my house is bursting at the seams. I feel guilty about "complaining" that I have too much stuff. There are so many people in this world who would love to be in my shoes (all 40 pairs of them). But I'm tired of it.


So I need help. For my 30th birthday, my friend, Cindy came and organized me. It was great. I have containers with labels and got rid of a bunch of stuff. But it's been 2 1/2 years and I think I need her again. She is so organized with everything. From books, to toys, to scrapbook junk and her clothes. She had her mother buy her 100 wooden hangers for Christmas a few years ago. So now, if she ever gets a new piece of clothing, she makes herself get rid of one. Same with her shoes. She has a certain place for each of her shoes, so if she buys new ones, out the door with an old pair. Why can't I be more like this?

My biggest problem is the girls' toys. What do you all do with your kids' toys? I don't like the idea of boxing some up and changing them out. First of all, I have no where to put the boxed up ones. Second of all, too much work.

And books. Since I was a first grade teacher, I have a million kids books. I have a 7 foot tall book shelf FULL of books. And this doesn't include the seasonal books that I bring out for each holiday. Those are kept at the top of their closet.

Maybe I should just have a big 'ol garage sale. But those are so much stinkin' work with such little pay out.

I'll keep you all updated on any neat ideas I get for storage solutions. Please let me know if you have any!!! :)

Here are a few photos from Christmas and Becca's 3rd birthday (and all of the new stuff I have to find a place for).


The white t-shirt behind Maddie says "Southern girls know their primary colors" and has an Iowa Hawkeye under it. Cute, huh?

There was a ton of snow in Iowa. The girls were so excited to play in it. Poor little southern girls. No snow pants or real snow boots. But they survived.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Organization is my middle name! It is about the only thing I know how to do well. I don't like rotating my toys either, it is to hard to find places to store them and then I forget where they went:) Make a date to come over soon and you can see how the toys get organized into two rooms. I must admit I am NOT a pack rat. If it is not being used, it is gone! This drives my husband crazy. Call me!

Happy New Year!

Ryan, Jen, & Rowan said...

You have to check out my "news" on the blog!WARNING - have Russ sit down first!!!

Michelle said...

Jenny, I will be taking you up on that. I'll call you next week sometime!

Erin said...

We try not to keep too many toys. We donate or give away toys usually. I just gave my sister some wodden puzzles of Ruthie's that are too young for her now. I wanted to go through everyone's toy box over the Christmas break, but being sick made me want to lie down on the couch too much! Good luck with the organizing!

By the way, my mom LOVED the album/calendar I made for her for Christmas. It was my first scrapbooking adventure, and I have to say that I'm quite impressed with myself. It was fun, and I thought it looked great! Thanks for the ideas!